1) What is QuickCMD ?
QuickCMD is a new software layer running on top of the original AmsDOS provided by
Amstrad. Its aim is to provide a faster way to launch programs. The idea actually
come from a fact about my own usage of a CPC : most of the times, I turn on my
computer to execute a CAT/RUN commands. I thought there was rooms to improve that
process, by providing:
- a really fast text output (really appreciated for discs containing lots of files)
- no need to type RUN" prefix anymore, simply typing a filename is required to
execute a file
- faster approach to execute a file : even if Shift+Arrows + copy/paste a filename
+ Control+LeftArrow + Control+Enter is handy to fast-launch files after a CAT
command, I found myself more efficient to uniquely deal with program's filename
- autocompletion : just type F then I letters then TAB key ; if FILENAME.BIN exists
on disc then it will be automatically completed !
- fully compatible with the system : you can launch BASIC as BINARY files the same
way, you can quit to BASIC then getting back to QuickCMD, DIR command also supports
Also, QuickCMD also features..
- extensible command system : instead of type a filename to launch, you can also
specify a Resident System eXtension (RSX) ! By example, to launch HxC Floppy
Emulator Manager, instead of getting back to BASIC and type |HXC, you just have
to enter HXC as any other command.
- respect the system : if an external command use the classic char output routine
(&BB5A), then its output will be merged to QuickCMD's user interface. This is
possible thanks to usage of hardware scrolling provided by the system.
- handy shortcuts : pressing two times TAB key acts as a DIR, ESC two times acts
as a quick exit to BASIC, etc.
- history management ! It's working like MSDOS's DOSKEY does (use up/down keys)
- auto-launch. When QuickCMD is installed on your system, it will get launched
automatically after all other ROMs will get properly initialized
- not intruisive : credits are voluntary kept hidden behind ABOUT command ; the
aim is to provide a neutral program, not a front-end for personal advertising or whatever
- clean, efficient and simple Z80 implementation using a mix of C and assembly
2) What QuickCMD isn't
QuickCMD is NOT a new OS, it's a layer on top of the system providing faster usage
of a CPC. I personnaly feel this approach more respectful to the system than some
other available alternatives.
Also, if it lacks some features you need, simply get back to BASIC as you ever did
previously! Or extend QuickCMD with new RSXs !
3) The available commands
A: or B: select drive A: or B:
ABOUT displays information about the program
BASIC exit to BASIC
CLS clear screen
DIR displays directory content (also auto-handles Cat'Art)
INFO displays info about specified file
RESET restart computer
ROMS displays installed ROMS
RSX execute RSX
RUN execute program (BINARY of BASIC)
USER define current user (value from 0 to 15, or 229)
Typing a RSX name of filename as a command acts as a RSX or RUN
Use UP/DOWN keys to move through history (DOSKEY-like)
Use ENTER (two times) to clear screen (CLS)
Use TAB to autocomplete (with filename on disc)
Use TAB (two times) to display directory's content (DIR)
Use ESC to clear current line
Use ESC (two times) to exit to BASIC
Don't hesitate to contact me (NoRecess) if you have suggestions or if you are
experiencing issues with QuickCMD ! Simply visit www.norecess.net and gets into
the Contact section !
Idea, programming : NoRecess
System stuff & help : Kevin Thacker a.k.a. arnoldemu
Using incredible fast char output from Prodatron!
6) The end
The end. :)